Ionuț Cristi NICU
Ionut C. Nicu is a geographer interested in the evolution and monitoring of natural hazards (landslides, gully erosion) with a negative effects on immovable cultural heritage. He has been part of numerous archaeological and geographical expeditions (Russian Federation, Azerbaijan), field schools (Australia, Italy, Russian Federation), and staff exchanges (Ukraine, Russian Federation).
Research interests: cultural heritage, geomorphology, hydrology, natural hazards, topography, archaeological topography, GIS, geoarchaeology, landscape archaeology, Neolithic archaeology, soil erosion, archaeological GIS.
Ionut Cristi Nicu is a geographer interested in the evolution and monitoring of natural hazards (landslides, gully erosion) with a negative effects on immovable cultural heritage. He has been part of numerous archaeological and geographical expeditions (Russian Federation, Azerbaijan), field schools (Australia, Italy, Russian Federation), and staff exchanges (Ukraine, Russian Federation).
- 2014: PhD in Geography, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iasi. Thesis Title: “Hydrogeomorphic Risk Analysis Affecting Chalcolithic Archaeological Sites from Valea Oii (Bahlui) watershed, North-eastern Romania. An Interdisciplinary Approach.”
- 2010: MA in Geography (Natural Risks and Space Planning), Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iasi. Thesis Title: “The Use of Total Station in the Evaluation of Geomorphological Risks – Case study Baiceni-Cucuteni Gully”
- 2008: BA in Geography, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iasi
Research interests: Cultural heritage, geomorphology, hydrology, natural hazards, topography, archaeological topography, GIS, geoarchaeology, landscape archaeology, Neolithic archaeology, soil erosion, archaeological GIS.
Current Marie Curie project coordinator for Alexandru Ioan Cuza University of Iasi Fluvial processes and sediment dynamics of slope channel systems: Impacts of socio economic and climatic change on river system characteristics and related services, Acronym: FLUMEN, Marie Curie Actions People International Research Staff Exchange Scheme – IRSES. The project is focused on the ecological and morphological characteristics of river channels and related processed of erosion, sediment transport and deposition under changing boundary conditions described by socio economic and climate change scenarios. We will study the effects of these changes on river systems at different spatial and temporal scales. The specific focus of the project is addressing the interface between the river channel and related slope systems. We will study historic evolution of river systems and will simulate future developments using scenarios.
Cristi has been part of national research projects and grants as a team member as follows: PROSPECT CNCS Grant 2014-2016 “Non-destructive investigations in complex archaeological sites. An integrated model of applied research of the immobile cultural heritage”, etc.
List of selected publications by Ionuț Cristi Nicu
- Ionuț Cristi Nicu (2016) Hydrogeomorphic risk analysis affecting Chalcolithic archaeological sites from Valea Oii (Bahlui) watershed, Northeastern Romania. An interdisciplinary approach. Springer International Publishing. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-25709-9.
- Ionuț Cristi Nicu (2016) Cultural heritage assessment and vulnerability using analytic hierarchy process and geographic information systems (Valea Oii catchment, North-eastern Romania). An approach to historical maps. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2016.10.015
- Alin Mihu-Pintilie, Andrei Asăndulesei, Ionuț Cristi Nicu, Cristian Constantin Stoleriu, Gheorghe Romanescu (2016) Using GPR for assessing the volume of sediments from the largest natural dam lake of the Eastern Carpathians: Cuejdel Lake, Romania. Environmental Earth Sciences.
- Ionuț Cristi Nicu, Gheorghe Romanescu (2016) Effect of natural risk factors upon the evolution of Chalcolithic human settlements in Northeastern Romania (Valea Oii watershed). From ancient time dynamics to present day degradation. Zeitschrift für Geomorphologie NF 60(1): 1–9.
- Ionuț Cristi Nicu (2015) An archaeogeomorphological approach applied in the study of a Chalcolithic civilization from north-eastern Romania. DigIt Journal of Flinders Archaeological Society.
- Andrei Asăndulesei, Ionuț Cristi Nicu, Mihaela Asăndulesei (2015) Archaeological prospection and natural risk management in prehistoric sites from Eastern Romania. A case study: settlement from Costești, Cier (Iași County, Romania). Proceedings of the Second International Conference held at State Hermitage Museum, Virtual Archaeology (Methods and benefits), Saint Petersburg, The State Hermitage Publishers: 89–103.
- Andrei Asăndulesei, Ionuț Cristi Nicu, Radu Balaur, Ștefan Caliniuc, Mihaela Asăndulesei, Vasile Cotiugă (2015) Integrated prospection methods for documenting threatened prehistoric archaeological sites from north-eastern Romania, Archaeologia Polona 53: 425–430.
- Gheorghe Romanescu, Ionuț Cristi Nicu (2015) Evolution of human settlements and natural risk factors. A case study of Chalcolithic archaeological sites in the Valea Oii watershed (Romania). Archaeologia Polona 53: 607–611.
- Gheorghe Romanescu, Octavian Bounegru, Cristian Stoleriu, Alin Mihu-Pintilie, Ionuț Cristi Nicu, Andrei Enea, Cristina Oana Stan (2015) The ancient legendary island of PEUCE – myth or reality? Journal of Archaeological Science 53:521–535.
- Gheorghe Romanescu and Ionuț Cristi Nicu (2014) Risk maps for gully erosion processes affecting archaeological sites in Moldavia, Romania. Zeitschrift für Geomorphologie NF 58(4):509–523.
- Brigand Robin, Andrei Asăndulesei, Ionuț Cristi Nicu (2014) Autour de la station eponyme de Cucuteni: Paysage et peuplement (Valea Oii, Iasi, Roumanie). Tyragetia SN, vol. VIII [XIII] 1:89-106.
- Alin Mihu-Pintilie, Gheorghe Romanescu, Cristian Constantin Stoleriu, Ionuţ Cristi Nicu, Andrei Asăndulesei, Elmar Schmaltz (2014) Natural dam lakes from Cuejdiu watershed (Stanisoarei Mts.) – non-invasive methods used for bathymetric maps. International Conference of Romanian Limnogeographical Association – „Water resources and wetlands” (eds) Petre Gâștescu, Włodzimierz Marszelewski, Petre Brețcan, Târgoviște: Transversal 130–137, ISSN 2285-7923.
- Ion Niculiță, Vasile Cotiugă, Aurel Zanoci, Andrei Asăndulesei, Mihail Băț, Gheorghe Romanescu, Felix-Adrian Tencariu, Ionuţ Cristi Nicu, Ștefan Caliniuc (2012) Magnetometric prospections in the Thraco-Getae fortress from Saharna Mare, Rezina district, Republic of Moldova. BAR S2433: Interdisciplinary Research in Archaeology, Proceedings of the First Arheoinvest Congress, Archaeopress, Oxford, ISBN 9781407310329.
- Ionuţ Cristi Nicu, Andrei Asăndulesei, Robin Brigand, Vasile Cotiugă, Gheorghe Romanescu, Dumitru Boghian (2012) Integrating geographical and archaeological data in the Romanian Chalcolithic. Case study: Cucuteni settlements from Valea Oii (Sheep Valley – Bahlui) watershed. Geomorphic Processes and Geoarchaeology. From Landscape Archaeology to Archaeoturism, International Conference, Moscow-Smolensk, Russia, <<Universum>>, ISBN 978-5-91412-129-9, p. 204–207.
- Asăndulesei Andrei, Lăcrămioara Istina, Vasile Cotiugă, Felix-Adrian Tencariu, Ștefan Caliniuc, Radu Balaur, Ana-Petronela Crețu, Ionuț Cristi Nicu, Bogdan Venedict (2012) Cesium magnetometer survey in the Cucuteni settlement of Fulgeriș – La Trei Cireși, Bacău county, Romania. Romanian Reports in Physics 64(3):878–890.